Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Let There Be Beer!

Photo credit: Design Archives

When I was in college, I read a book by Bob Brown entitled "Let There Be Beer!". It was written in 1932, and paid tribute to the all the wonders that the libation offered. It was a humorous mix of history, nutrition (liquid bread!), and just a plain ol' love of the brew.  I've never forgotten that book. Brown had an everyman's approach to beer and the joy that it can bring to one's life.  He was not technical or snooty. He spoke as I imagine many spoke in the aftermath of the repeal of the 18th Amendment, with an exuberance that could only come with a sense of freedom and a mug in your hand. And now, as I venture into my own experience with home brewing, I hope to capture a little of this feeling myself.      

No comments:

Post a Comment